August 19, 1996

Yellowstone Day 5 - Fort Harrison to Townsend, MT

Distance travelled: 41 3/4 miles
Winds: None
Grades: Nearly all up
Weather: Fair
Condition of roads: Good
Actual travel time: 6h
Rate per hour: 7- mph
- Lt. J.A. Moss Report to the Adjutant Synopsis of the Trip

At 11 o'clock we left Helena and started up Prickly Pear Valley. An hour and a quarter later we stopped until 4:15 for dinner.
The roads as far as Winston, thirty miles from Fort Harrison were fairly good, but for about five miles beyond this point, however, were exceedingly stony and dusty, and we were compelled to walk at least four miles of the five. Although it was 7 o'clock when Winston was reached, we were determined on making Townsend, 12 miles away, that night. The moon rose about 8 o'clock, but the clouds made it pretty dark traveling. We rode about seven miles feeling our way, as it were, and getting all sorts of bumps and falls. The Missouri River was crossed at 9:35 and at 9:50 we were making camp near the railroad depot in Townsend, having traveled forty-two miles since leaving Fort Harrison.
- Lt. James A. Moss, Military Cycling in the Rocky Mountains, pg. 26-27

Left Ft. Harrison at 6:20 A.M. . Reached bicycle shop in Helena at 6:50. The fibre of nearly all our tires was rotten and we were delayed about 4 hours having them wrapped with tape and otherwise repaired. Left Helena at 11. At 12:15 stopped until 4:15 for dinner. Roads quite dusty. Puncture 4:45 P.M., delayed 30 mins. At 5:50 delayed 25 mins. fixing puncture. Tire bursted at 6:30; delayed 25 mins. Stopped 10 mins. at Winston to fix seat and pump tires. Road for about five miles, beginning a couple of miles East of Winston, exceedingly stony and dusty. Had to walk about four miles of it. About 8 o'clock it became pretty dark, and although the moon was up the clouds prevented our seeing to travel. Only at times could we see to avoid rocks, rts and deep dust. We rode about 7 miles in the dark, feeling our way, as it were, and getting bumps and falls. About 9 o'clock Forman's seat spring broke and he had to walk to camp. Crossed the Missouri River at 9:35. Reached Townsend 9:45 P.M. . Distance travelled 41: 3/4 miles. Time of actual travelling 6 hours.
- Report from Lt. Moss to Adjutant General, Oct. 10, 1896 [R.G. 94 Box 346 46363-46575]

No comments: